Pages

Friday, August 10, 2012

Picture Book 10 for 10

Today, I am happily joining the Picture Book 10 for 10 meme hosted by bloggers Mandy Robek and CathyMere.

I love using picture books in my classroom. Besides telling great stories, picture books are roadmaps for writers: they show the many directions writers can take. I love sharing them aloud, and my students love listening to them. I use a picture book to model or teach a specific skill. However, when we discuss the book, my students will always notice something I hadn't seen. I don't stop every two or three pages with countless questions. Most of the time, I just ask them to tell me what they notice. I love hearing all the observations my students will make as they think about the characters and events.

There are so many great picture books, and narrowing to a list of ten was difficult!  So here are the first ten (or 11) that I recalled:

I WANT MY HAT BACK by Jon Klassen



 EXTRA YARN by Mac Barnett and Jon Klassen


PRESS HERE by Hervè Tullet



BOY + BOT by Ame Dyckman and illustrated by Dan Yaccarino





CITY DOG, COUNTRY FROG by Mo Willems and illustrated by Jon J. Muth



HOW ROCKET LEARNED TO READ/ROCKET WRITES A STORY
by Tad Hills



LIBRARY LION by Michelle Knudsen and illustrated by Kevin Hawkes



THE GENTLEMAN BUG by Julian Hector



 YOU WILL BE MY FRIEND by Peter Brown



C.R. MUDGEON by Leslie Muir; Pictures by Julian Hector




(I could say so much about each one. But if I did, this post would be too long to read!)


I could also name so many more wonderful titles. In fact, I have quite a few in my TBR pile. I love looking for and finding great picture books. To me, they are precious literary treasures.



3 comments:

  1. Great list! I haven't heard of The Gentleman Bug so will need to fix THAT right away! C.R. Mudgeon has been on TBR list. With your indorsement it's moving to the top. Isn't Country Frog, City Dog so beautiful? Definitely not your normal Mo Willems but so, so wonderful! And of course...you know how I feel about I Want My Hat Back! Can't wait for his new one! Thanks for sharing these fantastic titles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great list of book titles! I forgot about "Library Lion" - love that and Rocket is a favorite of mine too. Made my list! "The Gentleman Bug" is in my TBR pile right now. I have to check out C.R.Mudeon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've included many of my favourites that I didn't put on my list. Haven't heard of Gentleman Bug but will check it out.
    Thanks for the recommendations.
    Tammy
    Apples With Many Seeds

    ReplyDelete