Every Monday, I join Jen and Kellee over at Teach Mentor Texts to celebrate our reading for the week. We also share the books we are currently reading.
I spent the week wishing I could be at school working on my classroom. But since I couldn't (new carpeting being installed), I took advantage of the week and read.
I read some picture books at the local library.
First stack:
My favorites in this stack:
SPOON by Amy Krouse Rosenthal (So cute!)
LITTLE PEA by Amy Krouse Rosenthal (Loved it!)
THE LIBRARY by Sarah Stewart (Every library should have this book.)
My second bookstack:
My favorites in this stack:
WON TON: A CAT TALE TOLD IN HAIKU by Lee Wardlaw
SQUID AND OCTOPUS FRIENDS FOR ALWAYS by Tao Nyeu
LIBRARY MOUSE by Daniel Kirk
CHICKEN DANCE by Tammi Sauer and Dan Santat
My third bookstack:
My favorites here:
THERE by Marie-Louise Fitzpatrick (I've ordered this one. I highly recommend it!)
THE DUCKLING GETS A COOKIE by Mo Willems (Fun!)
THE PIGEON FINDS A HOT DOG by Mo Willems (Loved it!)
I also read the third installment in the Origami Yoda series: THE SECRETS OF FORTUNE WOOKIE by Tom Angleberger.
Having read the previous two Origami Yoda books, I was very excited to read the next book. STRANGE CASE OF ORIGAMI YODA won our Texas Bluebonnet Award this year, so these books are popular with students (and their teacher)! I thought it was funny and clever just like the other two. But this book had a great message about being yourself and the value of good friendships.
I also read SPLENDORS AND GLOOMS by Laura Amy Schlitz (out later this month). I'll do my best to review this one as it gets closer to its release date (Aug. 28th, 2012).
What I'm reading now:
I came back to Divergent by Veronica Roth. I suspect I'm the last person to read this YA novel. But I've found that I am ready for certain types of books at certain times. Just like I know what food I crave, I know what books to reach for based on my own reading appetite. It's YA and won't go in my classroom library, so I'm reading this one just for me. I'm enjoying it and I can now see the reasons for its popularity. The storytelling is excellent so far, and I'm halfway through the book. Young Adult seems to be the highest I will go now, with the exception, of course, of professional development books.
I should be able to work on my classroom starting today, so my reading time will be reduced. I'll do my best to make up for it in the evening.
What are you reading?
I spent the week wishing I could be at school working on my classroom. But since I couldn't (new carpeting being installed), I took advantage of the week and read.
I read some picture books at the local library.
First stack:
My favorites in this stack:
SPOON by Amy Krouse Rosenthal (So cute!)
LITTLE PEA by Amy Krouse Rosenthal (Loved it!)
THE LIBRARY by Sarah Stewart (Every library should have this book.)
My second bookstack:
My favorites in this stack:
WON TON: A CAT TALE TOLD IN HAIKU by Lee Wardlaw
SQUID AND OCTOPUS FRIENDS FOR ALWAYS by Tao Nyeu
LIBRARY MOUSE by Daniel Kirk
CHICKEN DANCE by Tammi Sauer and Dan Santat
My third bookstack:
My favorites here:
THERE by Marie-Louise Fitzpatrick (I've ordered this one. I highly recommend it!)
THE DUCKLING GETS A COOKIE by Mo Willems (Fun!)
THE PIGEON FINDS A HOT DOG by Mo Willems (Loved it!)
I also read the third installment in the Origami Yoda series: THE SECRETS OF FORTUNE WOOKIE by Tom Angleberger.
Having read the previous two Origami Yoda books, I was very excited to read the next book. STRANGE CASE OF ORIGAMI YODA won our Texas Bluebonnet Award this year, so these books are popular with students (and their teacher)! I thought it was funny and clever just like the other two. But this book had a great message about being yourself and the value of good friendships.
I also read SPLENDORS AND GLOOMS by Laura Amy Schlitz (out later this month). I'll do my best to review this one as it gets closer to its release date (Aug. 28th, 2012).
What I'm reading now:
I came back to Divergent by Veronica Roth. I suspect I'm the last person to read this YA novel. But I've found that I am ready for certain types of books at certain times. Just like I know what food I crave, I know what books to reach for based on my own reading appetite. It's YA and won't go in my classroom library, so I'm reading this one just for me. I'm enjoying it and I can now see the reasons for its popularity. The storytelling is excellent so far, and I'm halfway through the book. Young Adult seems to be the highest I will go now, with the exception, of course, of professional development books.
I should be able to work on my classroom starting today, so my reading time will be reduced. I'll do my best to make up for it in the evening.
What are you reading?

The picture book stack looks absolutely delicious. I am glad to see Sarah Stewart's The Library yet again. I have it on reserve right now in our public library, will be picking it up soon, I'm excited to get my hands on it. Don't worry about being the last person to read Divergent, I haven't gotten my hands on it yet, so that makes me ... umm... I can't even think of a word. Haha. Great titles here, thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteI ordered my own copy of The Library. I want a copy just for me! Thank YOU for readig my blog. And it's good to know I have company in that I'm not the only one who hasn't read Divergent. (I can't think of the word either! :-)
DeleteLove how many picture books you have been reading this week! It was a picture book week for me too. I also am a big fan of There by Marie-Louise Fitzpatrick. Isn't it gorgeous? I must confess I also haven't read Divergent but am planning to this fall. So I am very curious about your reaction! I've read a lot of YA this year but this just hasn't been on the top of the list yet.
ReplyDeleteTHERE is a very beautiful book. I just ordered my own copy. I will definitely post my thoughts on Divergent. Thanks for stopping by my blog, Carrie!
DeleteNope, you are not the last person to read Divergent 'cause I'm in line behind you. It keeps never making it to the top of my TBR pile.
ReplyDeleteHave a great time in the classroom. I've been in to meet with some teachers already but we start officially tomorrow-students next week. Lots of things to do! I'm glad you like Divergent, it & Insurgent are good! I've seen lots of talk about the Angleberger so have it on my list. Lots of good picture books, too. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteSo far, my room is just furniture, but in three weeks, it will be a community!
DeleteWow! You start early, Linda! Have a great beginning of the year! Thank you for stopping by my blog.
Ha, ha! You are NOT the last to read Divergent! :) I hold that title! (*gasp* Nor have I read the Hunger Games or the Twiight series). I'll get there some day!
ReplyDeleteLove your mountains of picture books! Your favorites from your stacks would have been my picks as well. I've been wanting to read The Library, but it's always seems to be checked out of our library. Can't wait for Fortune Wookie, which should be arriving any day now!
Have a great week and have fun getting ready for your students!
Lorna
Lorna, I think you will love Fortune Wookiee. I loved it so much!
DeleteAnd thanks for sharing about Divergent! I'm okay with it, now. It's really very exciting.
Hope you get to read The Library soon. I got tired of it being out all the time, too. So I just ordered my own copy.
What a lot of great picture books! I really need to get my hands on Squid and Octopus. The Hot Dog one is my favorite Pigeon book! and I agree with your assessment of The Library. A fabulous book. I can't wait to hear what you thought of Splendor and Glooms. I'm really looking forward to reading it.
ReplyDeleteSquid and Octopus so fun! Great color scheme. Thanks for stopping by my blog today! I'll write about Splendors & Glooms as soon as I can!
DeleteI thought Splendors and Glooms was fantastic! Looking forward to seeing what you think! I just added The Library to my TBR pile. Sarah Stewart and David Small are an amazing combination.
ReplyDeleteMaria @novalibrarymom.com
Thanks for stopping by my blog today! I loved The Library so much that I just ordered my own copy.
DeleteI will write about Splendors & Glooms as soon as I can! Thank you.
I got my copy of Fortune Wookiee and started it today. I already love it!
ReplyDeleteI haven't read Divergent yet, but it's on my radar too. I also can't put YA on my shelves (unless it is "clean" YA) since I teach elementary. But sometimes it's nice to have some ideas for students who check in with me in middle school. Plus - I love them!
Maria, you are so right! I really should know some YA titles for my former students.
DeleteI know you'll enjoy Wookiee! Thanks for stopping by my blog today!
Great reading this week!
ReplyDeleteI am pretty jealous about your two novels this week- I really want to read them both.
I hope you really love Divergent- it is one of the most entertaining dystopian books I've read.
Happy reading this week! :)
So good to know that you enjoyed Divergent. I'm just halfway through, and it so interesting. I might have some questions for you when I'm done. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today, Kellee!
ReplyDelete