So even though I have set-up a classroom 22 times, I still need a checklist.
I decided to write one for myself. It may or may not apply to any other teacher. But I'm learning that if something is not available, I should create it.
So, next year, I will follow my own words of advice. These are bits of wisdom I'm sharing with the future me next summer:
1. Bring all necessary tools with you when you go to your classroom for the first time. You might need a hammer, staple remover, scissors, dusting sheets, and Clorox wipes.
2. Don't forget water and a snack. If the AC is off, water is a must. (A protein bar is a good option.) You usually get caught up in everything, and before you know it, you're hungry but don't want to stop because you're moving at a good pace.
3. Ask yourself: Did my classroom design work well last year? What would I change or keep? This is the time to rearrange and plan furniture spots. Oh, and you might need another set of shelves since you probably purchased some books over the summer.
4. Arrange the furniture. Bring someone to help if you have heavy pieces. Don't over do it -- and wait on getting the back-to-school manicure. ;-)
5. Dust and wipe off furniture.
6. Now, shift your attention to the classroom library. How will you arrange books? How will you keep track of them? How will students check them out? Do you need new baskets or containers? (This is enough for a separate post!)
| I presorted stacks to incorporate new purchases. What a task! |
7. Arrange your classroom library. A shared experience with books helps develop a classroom community and this is important to you, so put thought and care into your library. Note: this step takes several days--especially if you stop frequently to reread books as you always do.
8. Decide on the color scheme for the room. (This year, I did a room makeover! I changed my color scheme and removed "teacher-y" items that said a lot about me, but had nothing to do with learning! I also de-cluttered!)
| Here are some of the labels for my classroom library. |
10. Make a to-do list for the next day. You will add to it. It will change.
11. Have a restful evening because you deserve it. Read a book at night.
My most valuable advice to me:
This year, don't worry so much that everything matches. Instead, focus on what matters: preparing to meet and connect with your future students. They will fill the spaces with their learning. And it will look wonderful.
I hope I follow my own advice next year. I'll have to reread this post.
No comments:
Post a Comment