The thoughts of an elem. librarian who loves children's literature, libraries, technology, writing, ---and throughout it all must wear cute shoes!
Sunday, April 8, 2018
#txla18: Being There
As I worked through a busy last day of TLA (that ended with a fabulous author visit back at school), some thoughts came popping through. (I didn't wake up thinking: today I will reflect upon TLA. I was too tired for that.) But I found myself reaching some conclusions that matter to me. And I wanted to blog about them here so that I'd remember them.
Here is what I've come up with, post #txla18:
Attending this conference isn't just about the sessions-- although I went to some pretty amazing ones on Makerspaces, Future Ready Libraries, picture books, leadership, etc.
TLA is about the people with whom you connect: new people you meet, and friends you see again.
It's about the problem-solving skills you practice as you get from there to there or plan your day. (Example: how can I go to two sessions occurring at once that are on opposite sides of the convention center but both are SO amazing I MUST go to them!)
It's about the spontaneous conversations you have as you wait for your phone to charge, or sit in the shuttle, headed back to your hotel.
It's about the enriching book discussions you have at dinner with authors or librarians.
Yes, it's about being there.
I do follow the tweets of a conference when I can't attend, and yes, I learn, but there is something special about being there. There is something about being around other librarians that makes me better. As I listen and learn from them, I remember: I am them. And they are me.
I took lots of notes. I tweeted and took pictures. And my learning is definitely reflected in these artifacts. But my most profound learning comes from my presence in the room and all that I absorbed.
Also, about the walking:
Sometimes the sessions are far apart. But if it's something you want to learn, you've got to go! You don't know where it will lead. You don't know if that one thing you hear at that one session will lead to a program or conversation that could make one person's life better. I've learned that trekking down long cavernous halls of a convention center can be worth every step. I went to an amazing session on Friday (my last one) that gave me great insight into working with students! I am so glad I went!
Now that I've sifted through some of my thoughts, how will I show my learning? I think it will show in the new steps I am willing to take, and the work I am willing to do.
I am willing.
And I am grateful I had the opportunity to attend TLA 2018.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment