Pages

Monday, April 2, 2018

Kalinka and Grakkle by Julie Paschkis






Paschkis, Julie. Kalinka and Grakkle. Atlanta, GA: Peachtree, 2018. Print. 

Have you ever tried to help a friend, but only made things worse? Or, have you ever tried to change a friend's ways?

Before I read a picture book aloud, I like to find a connecting question (or two) that will help readers connect with the story. I want readers to find meaning in the book in some way for their own lives. Of course, sometimes (and I love when this happens) they find the meaning themselves, and it has NOTHING to do with the question I asked. Even better! 

The book I am featuring on my blog today is about a friend who tries to do just that! 

Kalinka, a perky yellow bird, lives next door to Grakkle, a green furry "beast" with a slight reputation for being unkempt and undisciplined. (He loves to eat his Auntie's ginger cookies, sit in his chair, and leaves his socks on the floor.) Kalinka visits him one day, flying through his window and declaring she is no longer going to tolerate Grakkle's untidy ways. Despite Grakkle's objections, she flies about the home attempting to to clean up, but failing at it, putting socks in the stove, leaving crumbs on the table, putting pencils in a box of spaghetti, etc. Next she tries to fix his hair - but really only tying a very unflattering red bow on heiis head. When Kalinka tires out, she rests herself on Grakkle's chair, and this is the point at which he can take no more. He rants about, and in his overreaction, topples Kalinka into a pickle bucket. Without giving away the ending--this is the point at which Grakkle stops and understands, and perhaps where Kalinka realizes something, too. 

The story ends sweetly (and with a laugh), a friendship cemented, and renewed with an unspoken-- understanding between the two neighbors. After I read it, I thought about how it could possibly be a folktale or fairy tale -- not just because of the talking animals, or life lesson, but because of its light, happy tone.

I read this book aloud to a class in the library this week. The story flows well with voices and pacing, and vibrant artwork held their eyes to the pages. The art reminds me so much of spring, with wispy lines, a vibrant, cheery palette packaged in swirls and gradient hues. Paschkis moves from white space to color as Kalinka enters Grakkle's home, and patterns, stripes, and design abound in curtains, tablecloths, rugs, furniture and even socks. This book has the feel of a soft, knit throw - ready to cover you and entertain when you decide to sit on the couch. 

Although I didn't have time to follow through with activities then, I thought that when I read this story again, I might have readers draw a tidied up Grakkle house, or list things Grakkle and Kalinka can do together. They might even draw a before and after of Grakkle's house, or share ways that Kalinka could have connected with Grakkle, rather than just fly in his house and take over! 

Julie Paschkis is the author and illustrator of this book, and her previous two books are also must-reads: 











No comments:

Post a Comment