Miller, Tim. Moo Moo in a Tutu. New York, NY: Balzer + Bray, 2017. Print.
Where did I first hear about this book?
At TLA 2017 at the Lip Sync Battle session! Author Tim Miller was the winner of the competition.
I saw the cover, and knew that I wanted to read the book!
Then I returned home after a great conference and had it in a couple of days! Thank you, @harperchildrens!
I read the book to kindergarten and a couple of 1st and 2nd grade classes. Each time I presented it a bit differently and saw a little more. I started off by telling students that I had a really silly book to read to them, and of course they all cheered at that! Then I told them that it was about a duck and a cow, and they were really ready for the book.
But it wasn't until I read the title and showed them the cover that I truly knew it was going to be a hit!
After seeing that the ballet is performing across the street, Moo Moo decides to try being a ballerina. A bit unsure about this idea, Mr. Quackers still supports his friend's venture (even though his first attempt is less than successful). Moo Moo makes herself a tutu, and heads down to the ballet to join in the performance. But Moo Moo's style is a bit unconventional, and not quite ready for the stage. Despite the chaotic end to Moo Moo's performance, Mr. Quackers remains a faithful friend, offering praise and congratulations and going along with her idea.
After reading this book a few times aloud, you discover that it is a book about friendship, yes, but also about growth mindset. Moo Moo isn't afraid to try something new, and clearly she has done so before (see her trunk and wardrobe). Also, Moo Moo isn't afraid of failing. (No, she didn't practice, but still her attitude is commendable!)
I asked my students to tell me how Mr. Quackers showed he was a good friend. Most said because he was the only one that cheered Moo Moo's performance. Also, they remembered how Mr. Quackers listened to everything Moo Moo had to say and didn't try to talk her out of being a ballerina. He let her figure that out for herself!
The illustrations brought so much laughter! All I had to do was turn the pages!
Librarians, take a peek under the dust jacket for a case cover surprise!
I had a great time reading this book aloud in my library!
Learn more about author/illustrator Tim Miller here in his post for the Nerdy Book Club!

No comments:
Post a Comment