Pages

Thursday, December 22, 2016

Winter Break Reading

I have been on Winter Break for three days, and I've settled in quite nicely. Of course, what I especially appreciate about the break is the extended reading time.

I have many books I want to read, so I usually have to double up and read two (novels) at any given time. I can usually do a stack of picture books in an afternoon, but if they are really standouts, I tend to reread them and pour over them for a very long time. In truth, with picture books I find particularly engaging, I am never ever quite done with them.

One of the picture books I read prior to my break (that I am rereading now) is A Hat for Mrs. Goldman by Michelle Edwards:




I don't knit at all, but I know people who do! If you have some knitters in your life, they must read this book! In fact, share the book with non-knitters as well. The main character, Sophia, admires her neighbor for Mrs. Goldman in the way she knits hats for all who need one. But when Mrs. Goldman herself needs a hat, Sophia attempts to make her one -- and has a lot of trouble doing so.  I love how Sophia pushed through and found the solution that utilized her own strength and uniqueness! I found this story to be a lovely one (note the perfectly suited pastel palette) filled with the lessons of perseverance and service to others. Check the endpapers on this one! They are a delight! 





I also read an upcoming 2017 novel by author Ruth Behar. Lucky Broken Girl (Nancy Paulsen Books) is a very moving and riveting narrative written in a compelling voice. It's the story of a girl's experience through tragedy, and I couldn't put it down. I try not to read next year's books too early, but the cover drew me in, and I couldn't resist it anymore!



This week, we observed the special 73rd anniversary of the publication of the Charles Dickens classic A Christmas Carol. So it was particularly fitting that -- by sheer randomness and not be design -- I reread the Magic Treehouse installment (#44) in which Jack and Annie go back in time to help Mr. Dickens. My time with this book helped me appreciate the other story so much more. 


And I FINALLY had the chance to read the latest Mo Willems book Nanette's Baguette (Hyperion, 2016). I have only read it twice, but truly enjoyed the silliness and rhyming of the name Nanette. I haven't even begun to fully appreciate its design, but during winter break, I plan to do just that. 




Samurai Rising (Charlesbridge, 2016) by Pamela S. Turner is my current read. It's Young Adult nonfiction, and a very intriguing book so far. I've traveled into the world of samurai and warriors! When I first started reading it, it felt like fiction. The storytelling is quite intense and powerful. I'm reading this one on e-book.

I'll be posting more during my break about my reading, although I am not quite sure what I will read next. I will have fun figuring it out, though! And one of the very best parts of winter break reading is that there is no worry about an alarm clock. I can happily read late into the night!

If you have a winter/holiday break, I hope you can enjoy a book or two as well!





No comments:

Post a Comment