I feel the exact same way about my holiday books!
Every year, right after I decorate my fireplace mantel, I also bring out a basket that I fill with my stack of holiday books. I really don't have as many as I'd like, so I try to buy a few every year.
I have read the stories in this books over and over again, but when I open them for the first time in the holiday season, it is like they are brand new first reads. I cannot explain why.
Here are just a few of the books in my holiday basket:
Agee, Jon. Little Santa. New York: Penguin Book, 2013. Print.
Wonderful story about Santa as a child and how he reacts when his family declares they will all move to Florida. Isn't that a fabulous cover?
Desjardins, India. Marguerite's Christmas. Illus. by Pascal Blanchet. Brooklyn, NY: Enchanted Lion, 2015. Print.
A picture book perhaps geared for adults more than children, this one is a very thought-provoking story about a woman who wants to spend Christmas alone. It is a standout in design, and I still think about the story -- which is entirely unexpected and unusual. I especially loved the illustrations reminding me of vintage holiday ornaments and Christmases long passed.
Barton, Chris. The Nutcracker Comes to America: How Three Ballet-Loving Brothers Created a Holiday Tradition. Minneapolis, MN: Lerner, 2015. Print.
How did the famous Nutcracker productions in the United States come to be? Read about how it all began in this solid, interesting work of nonfiction from Chris Barton. Very popular in my library -- especially with young dancers performing in local productions of The Nutcracker.
Moore, Clement C. The Night Before Christmas. Illus. by Roger Duvoisin. New York: Knopf, 2014.
It's the classic poem by Clement C. Moore, except this one is illustrated by one of my favorite illustrators, Roger Duvoisin. Duvoisin was a Swiss author/illustrator of children's books, and the winner of the 1948 Caldecott Medal for White Snow, Bright Snow. Note the tall orientation of the book resembling a chimney.
Raczka, Bob. Santa Clauses: Short Poems from the North Pole. Illus. by Chuck Groenink. Minneapolis, MN: Lerner, 2014. Print.
One MUST have poetry around the holidays! This picture book contains works of haiku written by Santa himself! We hear it all straight from Santa -- and the illustrations are lovely!
These aren't all of the books in my holiday basket! I will share more soon!
Happy Holidays and Happy Reading!





No comments:
Post a Comment