Pages

Saturday, March 5, 2016

Recommending Books in the Library

This week was a busy one in the library. Our Spring Book Fair got picked up, and we immediately got into full swing with classes, 2 grade-level presentations, Read Across America Day, Genius Hour, and Makerspace activities.

But even with all of these wonderful events,  I have been even more intentional about reader's advisory. As I see readers enter the library and browse the shelves, I am already trying to figure out what they need. When a reader tells me what they are looking for, I do my best to find the perfect title, and I consider it a good challenge. When they take me up on my recommendation, I am happy as a clam! They check out the book and walk away, and once again, I am grateful for all of the reading I do.

Sometimes the readers will come back in the library and thank me for the recommendation. They may not outright say "Thank you", but they come in talking about the book very excitedly, or asking me questions about the characters or plot. When they do this, it REALLY brightens my day!

These are just four of the books I recommended this week.  (Naming all of them would be tough because there were so many and I do not remember them all!)







I know the every day, every night reading now will help me in the future and will have many benefits. Not only does it bring me joy at the moment, but it makes possible for me to support the readers in my library. While I may not remember every detail of every text, I always remember the experience, and sharing that with another reader comes through in my excitement about the book.

What books have you recommended to readers in your library this week?

P.S. This is the book I am reading now:



1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way! I'm constantly Booktalking something, whether it be to a whole class, teachers, or individual students. It brings me such joy and the daily, personal reading is key to guiding readers.

    ReplyDelete