Ruby on the Outside. By Nora Raleigh Baskin. Simon & Schuster, 2015. 176 pages. $16.99.
I read Ruby on the Outside in the middle of June, and though I read many books during #summerreading 2015, this one was especially memorable. I thought the cover was quite striking, and after reading the book, I see why it is so well-suited for the story. Matt Roeser designed the cover. (I met Matt at #ILA15, and so it was a wonderful surprise to recognize the name on the title page.)
As I decided how I would blog about this book, I decided I would not give you a summary. Instead, I would tell what I found in it, and why it was indeed memorable.
You should know that the main character is 11 years old (starting 5th grade). Her name is Ruby and she lives with her aunt. The reason she lives with her aunt is the core of the story, and the reason this book is so powerful.
Ruby lives with her aunt because her mother is in prison. (That isn't a secret or a spoiler, so don't worry, I haven't given anything away. I'm the last one that would want to do that to a reader.)
With her mother in prison, Ruby's life is, of course, affected in obvious ways, but also in ways that the reader may not have expected -- and Baskin shows us this through school incidents, memories Ruby shares, or her responses to situations -- things Ruby struggles with at school, her inner conflict, and her deep need for friendships.
Though Ruby keeps her story a secret from kids at school, a new potential friendship might make this even more difficult for her. The reader experiences each challenge alongside Ruby through sensitive storytelling. There are some suspenseful moments, and many honest ones. Ruby wants to understand her mother and why she is in prison. She has many questions that need answers.
Compelling and poignant, this well-crafted book gives a glimpse into how children cope with -- and live through -- very difficult circumstances such as this.
Ruby on the Outside is a quiet book with a confident voice showing the importance of family and friendship. With careful unfolding of story, Baskin has written a touching realistic fiction novel that many will find as memorable as I did.

This book makes me think of Zebra Forest which we read a couple of years ago for our Mock Newbery book clubs. I've requested it from the library. Everyone keeps mentioning it. It may make our list for Mock Newbery for this year.
ReplyDelete