Pages

Saturday, August 29, 2015

Books I Reached for This Week

Well, school has begun and the books are being read once again! Hurray!

Everything gets into full swing next week, and there are many projects to work on each day. My to-do lists morph into more lists, and I rely heavily on my non-fancy planner, Paper Mate Flair pens in many colors, and polka-dotted washi tape. Writing tasks down with a cute pen helps me remember to do them.

Though my list is in flux, my love for reading is constant. And this week, the following books held my attention when I could have so easily worked on more projects.

Consider these mini book talks.



Terrible Typhoid Mary: A True Story of the Deadliest Cook in America. By Susan Campbell Bartoletti. HMH Books for Young Readers, 2015. 240 pages. $17.99

Although I'd already read another book about the subject, this one told the story of Mary Mallon in a very different way. Written in a narrative style, this work of nonfiction kept me turning the pages even though I knew how everything turned out in the end. The writing helped me consider a new perspective. I'd consider this one YA. The references and citations at the end are extensive. Susan Campbell Bartoletti is an award-winning author, recipient of both a Newbery Honor and a Sibert Medal.



Moving Target. By Christina Diaz Gonzalez. Scholastic Press, 2015. 256 pages. $17.99.

At TLA 2014, I reunited with author Christina Diaz Gonzalez, and most recently also at TLA 2015.  We first met when I presented with her and other friends in a panel about multicultural literature at NCTE 2013 in Boston. Her latest novel was published this week. Moving Target is fast-paced and adventure-filled, and the main character is a young American living in Rome with her father. When someone tries to kill him, their lives change, and Cassie must find out why they are being targeted. The answers lead to more questions, a secret in their family bloodline, and lots of mystery!

And on a sidenote: I received a signed Moving Target poster from Christina this week along with bookmarks! 



Revenge of the Angels. By Jennifer Ziegler. Scholastic Press, 2015. 256 pages. $17.99

Jennifer Ziegler is a Texas author. Back at ALA Annual 2014, Donalyn Miller shared her copy of Revenge of the Flower Girls (Scholastic Press, 2014) with me. Revenge of the Angels is the second book in the series. Set in Johnson City, with lots of Texas flavor, these books and these triplets have won my heart with their love for their family, and their lighthearted adventures. This one has a mystery, Christmas spirit, and the added detail that their older sister is studying library science!





Sharing the Bread. By Pat Zietlow Miller. Illus. by Jill McElmurry. Schwartz & Wade, 2015. 32 pages. $20.99.

I picked up the F&G (fold and gather) for this book at TLA 2015. (I love reading galleys for picture books.)  I am using an appropriate description when I say that this books is a feast for the eyes as well as the heart. Set sometime in the early 1900's, this picture book is about a family preparing for Thanksgiving dinner. Every member plays an important part, and each role is described rhythmically in a poetic verse that sings like music. It's the perfect book for fall and November and family. I can hardly wait to buy a final copy!

I am happy to share this books with you here! Now I will go back to my reading, my planner, and crossing things off those to-do list(s)!

--Cynthia



No comments:

Post a Comment