The thoughts of an elem. librarian who loves children's literature, libraries, technology, writing, ---and throughout it all must wear cute shoes!
Saturday, January 3, 2015
Sebastian and the Balloon by Philip C. Stead
Stead, Philip C. 2014. Sebastian and the Balloon. New York: Roaring Book Press.
I love finding picture book treasures. I could sit with one for hours, though demands on time prevent this on most normal days. Truly, there is nothing like reading a stack of picture books on a clear, free afternoon.
Regarding the book I'm blogging about here, I first remember having heard Philip Stead and his wife Erin speak at TLA last year. They were both extremely wonderful to listen to, and hearing them talk about their creative process was thrilling for me. (Philip and Erin won the Caldecott in 2011 for the wonderful Sick Day for Amos McGee.) In short, when a book by a Stead is published (I'm including Rebecca Stead here although I do not think she is related), I am always eager to read it.
So when I first opened this book (written and illustrated by Philip), I was struck by many aspects of it: the rich colors, the main character, and yes, the end papers--red in the front, yellow in the back. (I loved thinking about that for awhile!)
Sebastian is a boy in search of adventure. He decides to embark on a hot air balloon ride because there is "nothing to see". The balloon itself has an envelope (yes, that's what it's called) created out of patchwork quilts, expertly illustrated with geometric patterns and contrasting colors). On the first leg of his flight (equipped with a yellow kite among other things), he stops by a leafless tree to get a snack, and it is there where he meets a bear. From this point on, Sebastian and his new friend encounter more friends (a tall red bird and three elderly sisters). The story ends with a roller coaster in need of repair, some teamwork, and a bunch of annoying pigeons. And throughout the entire story another little animal plays a quiet but noticeable part: a little red bird. Have fun watching him flitter about page to page! I did.
The medium? As printed in the verso, pastels, oil paints, and pressed charcoal were used. Shifts in color are used to indicate proximity, joy, or peace. Bear's facial expressions are poignant and real. That bear is a trooper! He leads, and works, and is in every way a companion to Sebastian (lifting arms up together on the roller coaster).
In fact, there are so many details to this book that I just keep noticing. Sebastian takes a little sailboat with him on the balloon, he eats a pickle sandwich, the three sisters are each knitting red, blue, and yellow blankets. Plus, when you get your hands on a copy, notice the change in the roller coaster. That BIG detail is fascinating, too.
It's a captivating story enhanced by illustrations that also captivate. (Seriously, after I finish this post, I'll read it again.)
Sebastian let's us all ride along on the adventure. And though I am not a fan of any type of roller coaster, I'd gladly ride this one with Sebastian, the bear, the tall red bird, and those three sisters.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment