Back in August of 2014, I was so happy to participate in a blog tour for LITTLE ELLIOT, BIG CITY - a debut picture book by author/illustrator Mike Curato. (Read that post here.)
Elliot, a sweet elephant covered with pastel polka dots, really captured young readers' hearts. He lives in an apartment, turns every obstacle into a positive, and is very self-sufficient. But sometimes he feels alone and unnoticed. Even then, he still helps Mouse who cannot reach his food, and together, they make a great team and a great pair of friends. I read this picture book to 2nd and 3rd graders because of the book's message of empathy and also because Elliot is just plain adorable!
Now -- Little Elliot's story continues!
In a first for my blog, I am participating in a cover reveal -- specifically, "Little Elliot, Big Reveal"! This cover is for the second book in Elliot's story: LITTLE ELLIOT, BIG FAMILY, and it will be available on Oct. 6, 2015.
Here is the cover:
See all the mice on the cover? These are Mouse's relatives!
I was fortunate to have a sneak peek of the second book this week! Mike's illustrations are lively and rich with story, and they help us get to know Elliot even more. Mouse plays a bigger role in this book, and his connection to Elliot is stronger.
This is one of the illustrations in the book. The text is poetic and will remind readers of their own grandmothers and uncles. I love the perspective on this page. The angle and placement of Elliot help readers see just how left out Elliot feels.
If you want to read more about Little Elliot and Mike Curato, go to Mike's blog here.
And just for good measure, watch Little Elliot's book trailer here. It's delightful!
*In an addendum to this post, I have decided to include my shoe choice for Little Elliot.
I've picked out the perfect pair of shoes for him: a pair of powder blue loafers that match his scarf! Easy to slip into and perfect for the movies or entertaining with Mouse's family!
-Cynthia Alaniz



I loved that we were sharing on the same day! :-)
ReplyDeleteI love it! :-) Thanks for the shoe pick
ReplyDeleteThanks for keeping us updated with Mike Curato's new book! His publishing story is an inspiring one for any aspiring author/illustrator. Love your articles! Short, sweet and to the point. Just the right size for today's busy person.
ReplyDeleteCheers,
Derek.
www.rightsidestudios.com