Pages

Monday, December 8, 2014

Makerspace Begins in the Library

Beginning a Makerspace in our library has been a goal of mine for awhile. I'd had the start of one here and there with minor efforts, but after reading about other makerspaces and the possibilities, I knew I wanted to try something more substantial. I worried about the details. What if I didn't have everything? What if I did it wrong?

I decided to just start it and go from there. This is part of my learning this year.

I knew that with the way our library is used every day, putting out all the materials all day long  every day wouldn't work. Just about every grade level visits every day (either in classes or individually), and the space is used in so many ways (collaboration, writing, research, and so on). So, instead I put everything (cardboard, tape, paper, how-to-books, origami stuff, etc.)  on a library cart. I figured I could wheel it out whenever I wanted to, and then wheel it back in the back room anytime. But the cart didn't exactly look very nice.  Scratches, tape residue, and the effects of wear and tear definitely made it not so appealing.  Thankfully, my parent volunteer repurposed it and made the cart look a million times better!  Here's what it looks like now.


This is one side. I love the tape dispenser that happily hands out duct tape or wasabi tape.  

This is the other side. We have cardboard, pipe cleaners, beads, etc. 

This part is my favorite. 
This was beyond what I expected! (Orange is my favorite color by the way.) My volunteer did an amazing job, even stocking the cart with other items, and attaching curtain rods for the tape! She  put side holders for craft books and origami instructions.

I couldn't wait to wheel it out!

I knew that Genius Hour would be the perfect time to bring out the cart. During this time, students are engaged in projects individually or in groups, pursuing topics of interest. Many of them visit the library to do their work, browse, or read.  As soon as Genius Hour began, I put out a sign, placed baskets on the table, and then stood back and watched. Some walked over to the materials, picking things up, and then looking around. They read the sign and some got started. Some felt very comfortable in just trying something out. Others needed to see someone else get started. Eventually everyone started working on something.

It was a busy, bustling hour. Our students were completely engaged. Based on their questions about materials, and my own observations, I can see what I need to have for next time.

It was really wonderful to see the items they created, and to hear them think aloud.






After it was over, I was so glad that I just got started. I realized that our learners would show me everything I needed to know, and that as long as I was giving them space and materials they needed, and the opportunity to to create, everything WOULD be perfect.

4 comments:

  1. This is awesome! And I love the realization that just getting started was the important thing, and you and your students would figure out what else was needed as you went along. Kudos to your crafty volunteer, too. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What did the sign that you put actually say?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of a using a library cart. Would you share an inventory list with me? Wilsoncolibrary@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore your maker cart and would like to make one for my classroom. Do you know what kind of paint your volunteer used? Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete