Pages

Sunday, December 21, 2014

Another Must-Have Holiday Book

I set out a lot of holiday books in the library before our winter break, and I was surprised at just how many we had. In fact, it seems that every time I get online or walk into a bookstore, I see or hear  of another holiday book. This is wonderful for readers! I also think most readers much like one would have a favorite holiday movie, readers also have a favorite holiday (Christmas) book.  (I don't think I can name just one, personally.) Perhaps it was a title read to you by a parent or teacher, or one you discovered on your own. It's a title we look for every time the season comes around, and Christmas wouldn't seem the same without it.

I purchased several for our library and I hope they will become more and more treasured as the years pass.

I found one new holiday book in particular that I'm particularly excited about, and when I found out it was by Roseanne Greenfield Thong, I knew it would be special. I was familiar with two of Thong's previous titles (Round is a Tortilla and Green is a Chile Pepper) and gladly read this one:




Thong, R., & Palacios, S. (Illustrator). 2014. 'Twas nochebuena. New York: Viking.

'Twas Nochebuena is a bilingual picture book that shares the holiday traditions of one Latino family. With delightful illustrations by Sara Palacios (winner of a Pura Belpré Illustration Honor Award in 2012) and rhyming lines in both English and Spanish, readers enjoy posadas, tamales, and joyous gatherings of friends and family during Christmas Eve or Nochebuena. The cover illustration of a hopeful girl holding a pot of poinsettias invites readers in, as does the bold red metallic title lettering. I opened the book and read it aloud, enjoying the Clement C. Moore rhythm it follows. The family faces are full of love and playfulness, and the joy of the season abounds on every page. I especially loved the part describing the tamale-making as it brought back a few childhood memories of my aunts and grandmother and me, making tamales of our own on Christmas Eve. (In the book, the family makes theirs with pollo, as did we; however, we also made sweet ones with piña. These were my favorite.) 

Many sweet images await readers: a generous piñata spilling candy, patterned bunting adorning streets, open doors with welcoming neighbors, and soft-colored lights trimming fireplaces and windows.  And so many scenes of holiday activities are included -- church service, family dinner, opening gifts -- that readers will surely find one or more that will connect them to their own memories.

One particularly lovely part of the book: a double-page spread of children finding their gifts under the tree -- a satisfied little one closing her eyes as she hugs a teddy bear, another trying to shake and guess, a toddler reaching for a box, and a naughty cat pulling ribbon off the tree while the dog sits happily with a bone in its mouth.

The English and Spanish text flow well, as Thong deftly rhymes in both languages. Reading it aloud will be a musical and interactive event for any librarian. There is a glossary of Spanish words in the back, and an author's note gives readers background into the beginnings of the book.

For me, reading this one was indeed like experiencing Christmas.

Read more about Thong's work here.

Read more about Sara Palacios and her work here:

And make room on your shelves for more holiday books. What will be YOUR next favorite?

No comments:

Post a Comment