I love college football. Yes, this cute- shoe librarian really does! I don't know everything about the sport, but I know enough to enjoy watching a game. I love watching a game in real life or on TV, and I keep up with sports and news throughout the season (which is upon us).
For these reasons, and the fact that I'm always looking for new books for the readers in my library, I was very interested in reading Double Reverse by Fred Bowen. Also, I am happy to participate in a blog tour for this book. I'm the last stop, but make sure you visit the previous stops here:
Monday 8/11 The Write Path
Tuesday 8/12 Kid Lit Reviews and Geo Librarian
Bowen,
Fred. Double Reverse. Atlanta, GA: Peachtree, 2014. Print.
Jesse Wagner plays wide receiver for his high
school freshman team. His brother Jay, once a star quarterback for the same
high school, is about to start his first season of college football at Dartmouth. Jay and Jesse share a love of football, and practice together,
discussing the game and learning from one another. As the season progresses for
Jesse, his team loses several games, and their quarterback is hurt. Jesse,
always thinking about the team and trying to improve, has a discussion with his
brother Jay who gives him the idea of going for quarterback. Jesse is
unsure about this because he doesn’t feel like he “looks the part”. Jay, facing
his own changing role on the Dartmouth team, convinces Jesse to try (and promises to try a new role proposed by his coach on his college team as well). After a
discussion with his coach, and some successful plays, Jesse gets his chance. He
practices, tried hard, and already knows the playbook from helping Jay memorize
them. He draws up plays like math problems, and is always thinking about
football. (Included in the book is a side story about Jesse’s friend Savannah,
and how Jesse helps get her on the team.) When the season ends, Jesse has
learned a lot about football, and even more about himself.
Double Reverse is an engaging sports book that will ring true with athletes of any sport, but especially football. Fred Bowen writes paragraphs of football plays authentically, and in a straightforward, clear style. Reading the narrative is almost like watching a football game in real life, and when touchdowns are scored, readers will feel like cheering.
Jesse's solid relationship with his brother is a plus in the book, and their "deal" in the story shows readers that family members can help each other when they go through challenges together. Also a positive is the inclusion of the character of Savannah, and the fact that Jesse advocates for her being the team's kicker.
Readers will identify with the sports lesson in the book, and Bowen ties it up nicely in the end.
The book is short enough (and exciting enough) to keep readers interested, and the sketches of football plays add a layer of "realness" to the book. Another attractive feature is "The Real Story" at the end in which Fred Bowen writes about a similar story to Jesse's that is actually true (from the NFL). This section will fuel more interest in nonfiction and shows readers that the two (fiction and nonfiction) can be paired, no matter your interest.)
This is a good choice for middle grade readers with an interest in sports!
You can get to Fred Bowen's website here. Mr. Bowen is a sports columnist for the Washington Post, and Double Reverse is the latest installment in the Fred Bowen Sports Story series published by Peachtree.
I can't wait for the season to start!

No comments:
Post a Comment