Pages

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Ignite and Inquiry

Yesterday, I presented an Ignite session at Inquiry Day with the North Star of Texas Writing Project. An Ignite session is a 5-minute presentation with slides playing at 15 seconds. I basically had to use my slides as a backdrop and present very quickly. I stood before the attendees and shared a question of inquiry and how I was reflecting on my work. It was a very worthwhile experience because I did something I'd never done, and I reconnected with my National Writing Project friends. I was one of about eight Ignite presenters, and once one went up, we had to be prepared to go next.

My Inquiry question(s) had everything to do with the library--my place of learning. How can I make it an inviting place for everyone? How can I help establish a reading community within the school?

Meenoo Rami presented the keynote at yesterday's session. Her work inspires me. She spoke about the value of a network and connections, and she asked us a great question: "Will your students be more courageous and curious after they've met you?"

Meenoo recently published her first book, THRIVE.



And now: How can I invite, foster, and nurture inquire daily in the library? I thought about a display we set up in the library recently. Can you guess what the question is? 






I hope our learners come in and ask and wonder. And I hope they check out some science books, too! 


I walked away from the day promising myself I’d continue to ask these questions. And more. 

How are you reflecting upon your work? How do you inspire inquiry in your classroom or library? 

No comments:

Post a Comment