Pages

Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Little Whale by Jo Weaver

As a librarian, I love to group books, connecting them by topic or theme. A book I read recently inspired me to think about whale books! (I'll bet you can  name one or two!) I immediately thought of these four titles:







After seeing them here, I see they do have similarities - besides the obvious. (First,  I marvel at the lovely blues on each cover!) Each of these stories is "quiet", revealing themselves gently to readers. Probably akin to the way we might approach a whale itself - if we were to ever see one!


Recently, I received a book I will add to this group, and I wanted to share it here with you!



Little Whale by Jo Weaver
Pub. date: Oct. 1, 2018
Peachtree Publishers 

When I opened the package with my advanced copy, I first noted the large size -- and thought that this made perfect sense for a book about whales. Of course!

Then I opened it, and noted the absence of  most colors - except an "oceany" or midnight blue, various grays, and white. (A book about gray whales calls for this-- naturally-- but as I read the book, with every page in these colors, it gave me the sense that I was on the journey, too.) The title is in gold, like the sunlight that pours down through the ocean's surface. 

Delving into the first few pages, I was placed right into the ocean, and into Little Whale's story. 
Little Whale is the journey of a mother whale leading her baby north for food, beginning their migration trek. Gray Whale explains to Little Whale that they are going home, and as they go along, of course, Little Whale asks a form of the question many children ask on road trips: "Are we there yet?") As a brief note on the copyright page in the back explains, the trip indeed will be long!) Gray Whale is patient, and readers along for the trek see stingrays, hammerhead sharks, Orcas, and various various other sea life. Grey Whale guides Little Whale along, as the narrator softly describes the scene before them: the skies, the mountains, the ships. As the journey nears its end, they are called home by whale song, illustrated stunningly in a double-page spread that made my eyes stop to take in everything. Remember, picture books are not meant to be rushed readings, especially this one -- melodic in its words, floating dreamily in fluid illustrations. 

More to notice: Do you love a good paper in a picture book? I'm noting that this one is thick and sturdy -- again, perfect for a book about a whale. The pages could very well have been waves, turned by my eager reader's hand-- moved by a whale's tail.

Little Whale is a calm and assuring walk through the hesitancy we all experience before any long, arduous journey - whether it be in the ocean, on land, or in our daily lives. The story is also a peek into the comfort offered by those who care for us -- as we all travel together. 

I will be recommending this book to teachers! 






No comments:

Post a Comment