Pages

Thursday, May 17, 2018

End-of-the-Year Musings (Plus a few books!)


I was trying to prioritize my end-of-year to-do list today when two learners came in and asked me an interesting question.

"Are you going to change anything in the library this summer, Mrs. Alaniz?" This question made me stop and think. "I have a few ideas," I replied. But before I continued on with a few of my brainstorms, I thought I would get their opinion first:

"What changes would you recommend?" I asked. I was eager to hear their reply.

They both looked around and then at each other and said, "We'll like anything you do!"

What a lovely answer! And what a standard for me to keep!

What exactly I will do over the summer to improve the space? I'm thinking about new signage and expanding my makerspace options. I'm thinking about moving some of the collection. Whatever it will be, it will be with my learners in mind.  Especially the two that gave me this reply today!

Speaking of fall (and summer) here are some must-read books that I have been reading lately:

,

An riveting survival adventure paired with a coming of age story! Available now from Farrar Straus and Giroux. 




I read this one in manuscript form and I am now rereading the ARC. Every Jacqueline Woodson book is a must-read, isn't it? Yes. 




I recently hosted author/illustrator Grace Lin in my library. Here is her upcoming picture book! It's lovely! 



This one is released in September from Amulet Books! Many thanks to them for the advance copy of this book! It is a must-read for two reasons: the compelling content and its creative presentation. Part nonfiction text, part graphic novel! I'd heard of Dietrich and read another book about him by Patricia McCormick, and this one added another level of understanding for me. If you've read one, you should read the other. I couldn't put this one down!  


I have found one of back-to-school read-alouds for next year! Thank you, Ryan Higgins! Funny and clever! Coming from Disney Hyperion in June 2018! 

And finally:

My favorite pair of shoes right now:

The Jack Rogers Hampton Sandal in silver.

Happy reading, happy summer, and happy shoe-shopping!


No comments:

Post a Comment