The thoughts of an elem. librarian who loves children's literature, libraries, technology, writing, ---and throughout it all must wear cute shoes!
Sunday, March 25, 2018
School People: Poems Selected by Lee Bennett Hopkins
Hopkins, Lee Bennett. School People: Poems Selected by Lee Bennett Hopkins. Illus. by Ellen Shi. Honesdale, PA: Boyds Mills, 2018, Print.
It takes a wonderful group of people to make a school a special place for children. Each play a part in making a child's day an awesome one!
This collection of poems selected by Lee Bennett Hopkins --whenever I think of poetry for children I always think of him and how could I not?--pays tribute with poems that applaud and celebrate these school people. Contributors to the collection include Rebecca Kai Dotlich, Amy Ludwig Vanderwater, Matt Forrest Essenwine, J. Patrick Lewis, Irene Latham, Alma Flor Ada, and more. Poems are written from the voices of students, describing the staff members' special ability to take them on magical learning journeys. Colorful and playful art by Ellen Shi brings the poems to life.
For an interactive read-aloud of this book, I might ask this question beforehand: "Who makes school a special place for you?" I might also bring this book out during special weeks such as Teacher Appreciation Week, with several poems that would fit the bill nicely.
Not only for Back-to-School week or National Poetry Month!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I can't wait to read this book--Lee's anthologies are always full of magic!
ReplyDelete