Pages

Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Looking Back: Wolf in the Snow by Matthew Cordell


On Monday, the 2018 Youth Media Awards were announced! Such a special day for librarians! And although it was the first day of my Book Fair, I tuned in to hear the titles of the winning books. 
In particular, I was very excited to hear the winner of the 2018 Caldecott Medal announced! 

The 2018 Caldecott Medal winning book is Wolf in the Snow by Matthew Cordell (Feiwel & Friends).


As the day went on, I recalled when I'd first heard of Wolf in the Snow, and I remembered that it was in March of 2017. I searched for this photo in my cameral roll from that time. 


Here, at the 2017  Tucson Festival of Books, I attended a panel with author/illustrators Chris Britt, Jessixa Bagley, and Matthew Cordell. Matthew shared Wolf in the Snow which had been published earlier that year. I bought a copy of this book at the Festival. 

Wolf in the Snow was part of our Mock Caldecott this winter, and so I have had time to read it aloud and share it with third grade classes. 

In thinking about this book, I came to a realization that is meaningful to me:

All of my book experiences, memories, and readings connect or come full circle eventually. Every book event I attend. Every book I read. Every post I write. Every speaker I hear. And I love realizing that! 

Also, pursuing my passion means I never stop. 

It means there isn’t room for much more. 

It means that if someone asks me what my weekend plans will be, it will always be about reading or learning or pushing myself to achieve a goal I have set.

But it also means I will find my best and true self in the mix of it, happy in books.

No comments:

Post a Comment