The Newbery Caldecott Wilder Banquet was several weeks ago, and I should have blogged about it earlier! But it has been a busy summer and I am trying to get a lot of reading done. I am aslo attempting to redecorate my school office AGAIN. But even though this event has passed, it's already shaping up to be one of my very best library - and lifetime -- memories.
| My program for the night |
The Newbery Caldecott Wilder Banquet feels like a celebration of the entire year in books -- and it is! The Newbery, Caldecott, and Wilder Medals are awarded here (announced in January at MidWinter), and everyone is in a celebratory and jovial mood. As it is usually my last night at ALA, it is the culmination of the conference for me and a last chance to see friends before the next conference.
| My view |
| Caldecott Medal Winner Javaka Steptoe |
What I enjoy about the Banquet:
1.) Seeing friends
The conference is busy for everyone as well all have our own sessions and meetings, so it is not always possible to see everyone during conference days. But just about everyone goes to the Banquet, and I love gathering with them and chatting with them -- if only briefly. I also have a great tradition of meeting up with two friends in particular both before and after the Banquet. And we are all dressed up!
2.) Hearing the award speeches:
They either make me cry or laugh or both. And they are SO well-written! After all, the winners are book creators! They share from the heart, and they share their process. I am always grateful to hear their words.
3.) Remembering the books
With each winner, I have a memory -- the first time I saw the book, the time I received a copy, the first time I shared it with someone. I can remember when I first read them or heard about them. And to think of the full cycle they have come through is astounding! For example, I can still remember getting ARC of THE GIRL WHO DRANK THE MOON by Kelly Barnhill in the summer of 2016! And now, it is the winner of the 2017 Newbery Medal.
It makes my librarian heart happy to see authors and illustrators get celebrated because they deserve to be! They write books for young readers that help them become lifetime readers, and they bring beautiful stories to all of us!

No comments:
Post a Comment