Pages

Thursday, June 22, 2017

Three Books I Couldn't Stop Reading


"I couldn't put that book down!"

I rarely say that about a book, but when I find one that makes me exclaim this, I tell others about it. Here are novels that I read recently that made me say just that:



Cartaya, P. The Epic Fail of Arturo Zamora. New York: Viking, 2017. Print. 

Arturo has plans for a great summer, but he'll have to do a few things first-- like save his Abuela's restaurant from a greedy land developer! Along the way, he'll reconnect with his family, and appreciate poetry, too. This one is a family story that I could relate to because it made me think of my own abuela and how special she was, too! Don't we love when we can connect with a character? Kids do! Arturo's voice is endearing and you will be rooting for him the entire time. I read the ARC of this book, but need to get the final copy because it has recipes in the back. When I read this book, it made me think about the importance of tradition in families, and how much value they add to our lives. 




Snyder, L. Orphan Island. New York: Walden Pond Press, 2017. Print. 

I really couldn't put this one down. I found myself turning pages as if I were taking breath after being underwater for a long time. Completely mysterious and though-provoking! There is an island, and on it live nine orphans. A green boat appears periodically and takes one orphan away, while delivering another. Sound like an interesting premise? It IS! Though it is a mystery, I never wondered why I enjoyed it. The writing here is authentic and heart-grabbing. And I thought it was the perfect book to read for the summer because Snyder's descriptions of the island made me want to be there to explore it. I am still thinking about Jinny, the main character. Note: I also loved Snyder's Swan: The Life and Dance of Anna Pavlova (Chronicle, 2015). If you haven't read this one, you should! 



Baptiste, T. Rise of the Jumbies. New York: Algonquin Young Readers, 2017. Print.

At some point in the year, I will be asked for folktale books. So I'm always looking for new ones to share because I want to add to my list and also because I enjoy the storytelling. And that is just one of the reasons why I am blogging about this book today. Baptiste is a skilled storyteller and this book is proof. Compelling characters, unexpected humor and page-turning suspense: they are all here in this book. And mixed in, of course, is a coming-of-age story in a tropical setting with glorious descriptions. This is the second book after the series The Jumbies (Algonquin, 2015).

These three novels helped me jumpstart my summer reading and kept my attention. I hope the books that follow these do the same!



1 comment: