Pages

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Two Books I Have Read Recently




I first heard about Restart at the Scholastic Summit in San Antonio last summer. I knew it would be a book I would want to get my hands on as soon as possible! When I received it, I read it quickly! You will, too! In this latest Korman novel, Chase, the main character, hits his head in an accident at home-- and he doesn't remember anything about his life before then. When he returns to school, he finds that some kids like him, but many of them do not. And he doesn't quite know why. As Chase maneuvers through school, he has to relearn everything about himself, and as he does, he discovers some truths he doesn't want to face. In walking us through Chase's recovery, Korman uncovers some provoking ideas about identity and liking oneself.  But it is also about beginning again -- and indeed, the promises of a "restart". After reading this, I immediately began Korman's Masterminds series (which I still had not read). Korman's works are a staple in our libraries, and Restart (like Slacker) is a perfect illustration about why that is so. 


o



I read Lauren Wolk's Wolf Hollow last year, and found that it was one of those books I couldn't put down. These books don't come around too often for me. Wolf Hollow was a page-turner with surprising twists that make it a solid, thought-provoking read. So I knew I would want to read anything else by Lauren Wolk. Lucky for us, we now have Beyond the Bright Sea -- Wolk's latest book (also by Penguin Books). It, too, is a must-read. The main character Crow was sent out off on a boat alone as a baby, and she's been raised by Osh (a loner on the island) and Maggie (his neighbor). Crow's past is mysterious, and though she feels loved and cared for, she really wants to know who her parents are and why they gave her up. Persistent about finding answers to her many burgeoning questions, Crow uncovers some layers of her beginnings, but along with it, some trouble -- both for her and Osh and Maggie.  Beyond the Bright Sea contains a powerful narrative voice that makes it a compelling read. A coming of age novel with a quietness that makes it a special read. 


Read them for yourself! To learn more about Lauren Wolk, click here. To learn more about Gordon Korman, click here. 




No comments:

Post a Comment