Pages

Monday, November 7, 2016

Texas Book Festival



Over the weekend, I attended the Texas Book Festival -- which is where you might expect to find a librarian or two -- or more! Although it was a rainy morning, the book excitement was unhampered. 

I wanted to take a minute here to tell about the session I enjoyed the most -- a panel of picture book illustrators moderated by Austin Kleon (author of Show Your Work and Steal Like an Artist). 


Panelists included:

Brendan Wenzel, author/illustrator of They All Saw a Cat (Chronicle, 2016),




Lauren Castillo, illustrator of It is Not Time for Sleeping (Clarion Books, 2016),




Carson Ellis, author/illustrator of Du Iz Tak? (Candlewick, 2016)


and Michael Hall, author/illustrator of Wonderfall (HarperCollins, 2016).  



The panelists talked about their materials and process, and Kleon kept the conversation flowing smoothly by connecting one response to another, even giving the session its own hashtag: #tbfprocess. For anyone interested in illustrations or picture books, it was an hour well-spent. As for me, I had never heard any of these illustrators present before, so I definitely considered this a treat. 

I've been studying picture books with more intent lately, so this session came at the perfect time. After I left, I promised myself I'd reread each of these books when I returned home. 

I hope to return to the Texas Book Festival next year! 









No comments:

Post a Comment