Do you enjoy book displays? I do! I love thinking them up and wondering how others will react to them.
I was reading online somewhere that a librarian was creating a Charlotte's Web display. I thought it was a fabulous idea! So I asked one of my wonderful parent volunteers to pull spider-themed books for me (fiction and nonfiction). She created this amazing display that I will leave all the way up throughout October.
Since it's gone up, I have had the best discussion with staff and students both about Charlotte's Web AND spiders. Coincidentally, several of our classes are using this as a read-aloud.
I think you can tie in several genres of books together if you find one unifying theme. Once a reader loves one book, they might consider reading another if we can find way to connect it. Thinking about these possibilities for books is something I really enjoy doing!
Although I really don't have enough space for every display in the world, I try to make good use of what I do have available.
Another good thing about book displays is that they help readers make decisions. I've seen many this past week browsing endlessly past shelves, putting down book after book --- but then walk by a display, stop, and pick one of the books for checkout.
I know we use book talks, book trailers, and QR Codes and other tools to help us pass on good books to readers, but I won't forget the power of a simple book display to create wonder AND recommend books.
Great display! I agree that when we put books on display, it helps connect our students to books they might not know about otherwise!
ReplyDelete