Although I do enjoy a variety of genres, I am not as quick to pick up a thriller-- unless, that is, I know the work of the author.
I recall Jonathan Auxier's The Night Gardener and Kenneth Oppel's The Nest. Both made me hang on every word (and jump a little). Both were very well-written. But I knew Auxier's work as well as Oppel's so I was willing to push past fear to enjoy the story.
That is the case with The Haunting of Falcon House (Henry Holt/Macmillan, 2016). I know the work of Eugene Yelchin: Breaking Stalin's Nose (Newbery Honor Medal 2012) and Arcady's Goal. Both of these books engaged my imagination and attention, and I would reread both today. Happily.
The cover drew me in first. The deep red background and gilded font evoke images of royalty -- daunting castles with thick velvet curtains, opulent crowns and gowns, and all that accompanies being a king, queen, or, in this case, Prince Lev, the royal figure in the center of the story. With his eyes turned to see something out of the corner of his eyes, and his and the dark hands reaching up behind him, readers are compelled to open the book and turn to the first page.
Yelchin begins the story with background: an author's note with a tale from his childhood. The inspiration for the book came from drawings he found as a boy and kept until he was an adult. Yeltsin found the drawings in St. Petersburg, drawn by Prince Lev-- who Yelchin made the main character of the book. The sketches are interspersed throughout the pages, helping carry the narrative Yelchin so eloquently pens. Readers will stare at the pages in hopes of understanding them, wanting answers, and turning to Yelchin to answer them within the story.
The Haunting of Falcon House is both mystery and coming-of-age novel. Prince Lev has been sent to Falcon House to assume his place as patriarch of the family lineage. But he is greeted with gloominess and uncertainty, and despite his dreams of taking over the bloodline and assuming his place, he must first understand exactly what is happening in Falcon House. There will be many questions, but Yelchin's narrative gives readers a reason to wait for answers.
At the end of the story, Yelchin provides an afterword, and more notes/references.
Read more about Yelchin's books for children here.

No comments:
Post a Comment