So, I never run out of reading material. Ever. That's all in the plan.
So with all of the books I have to read, why am I always WAITING for a book?
Here's what I am talking about:
At the Texas Library Association conference last April, I first saw the latest Kevin Henkes book (which just happened to be called WAITING):
| The F&G at the HarperCollins booth at TLA 2015 |
So I wrote the expected publication date in my calendar and waited patiently. Then I saw it again at ALA Annual in San Francisco this past June. And I wanted the book even more.
Fast forward to September 1st, when I finally had my own copy of this book! Imagine my joy!
| This is my final copy. And I can look at it whenever I like! |
Now, this is not the ONLY book I have been "waiting" for lately!
I don't remember where EXACTLY I first heard of this next book, but I knew immediately I wanted to read it. At ALA 2015, I saw the author of the book, Mac Barnett, at the Newbery Caldecott Banquet, and over at ILA 2015, I met the illustrator of the book, Christian Robinson. (I also heard Christian Robinson's beautiful acceptance speech at the Coretta Scott King Awards and saw him dance with author Patricia Hruby Powell. Robinson won a CSK Illustrator Honor Award for JOSEPHINE, the book he is signing below.)
| Christian Robinson signing my copy of his CSK Award winning book JOSEPHINE: THE DAZZLING LIFE OF JOSEPHINE BAKER (Chronicle, 2015). |
When I called my bookstore on release day for this book, I found out they didn't have any copies!
I ordered my copy and waited. In between, I saw postings of this book and every time I did, it made me dream of my own copy even more! And my librarian heart hurt a little bit each time!
Finally, nearly two weeks after its release, it arrived:
Leo: A Ghost Story. By Mac Barnett. Illus. by Christian Robinson. Chronicle, 2015. 52 pages. $16.99.
I have turned the pages over and over, reading for pictures, then the words, and thinking about this book and what its creators have accomplished.
My copies of Waiting and Leo: A Ghost Story are always by my side.
My copies of Waiting and Leo: A Ghost Story are always by my side.
I have connections to both of these books. Already, I have a history with them. Though they have not been in my possession long, they are already treasures -- as are each of the picture books in my personal collection.
And it all began with the waiting!
(By the way, I am currently waiting for The Whisper (HMH Books, 2015) by Pamela Zagarenski.)
(By the way, I am currently waiting for The Whisper (HMH Books, 2015) by Pamela Zagarenski.)
No comments:
Post a Comment