Pages

Monday, July 13, 2015

The Curious World of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly


The Curious World of Calpurnia Tate. By Jacqueline Kelly. Henry Holt/Macmillan Children's, 2015.  320 pages. $16.99

When I taught fourth grade here in Texas,  I enjoyed teaching our state symbols, history, geography, wildlife, etc. With each year, my appreciation for my native state grew - especially with more visits to the Alamo, the Capitol, and other Texas historical landmarks.

So, understandably, when I come across books with a Texas setting, I take note!

This is where Calpurnia Tate comes in. 

I'd read the Newbery Honor Winner The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate (Henry Holt, 2009) years ago, and enjoyed it. When I received a copy of the sequel, The Curious World of Calpurnia Tate (Henry Holt, 2015), I could hardly wait to see what Calpurnia had been up to!

It's 1900 in Fentress, Texas, and Callie Vee Tate still has to contend with her brothers' antics, piano lessons she's less than fond of, and every wild creature young Travis wishes to sneak into the house. Granddaddy continues to feed Callie's passion for science with books and insightful discussions. But the Galveston Hurricane of 1900 has hit the coast, displacing relatives, and Callie's cousin Aggie comes to stay with the Tates. Aggie keeps to herself, holding secrets, frustrating Callie, but eventually the two find commonality in their need for independence - albeit on different terms. Told in Callie's engaging, storyteller voice, the book is both historical fiction and a coming-of-age story. Fans of the first novel will be pleased, and readers new to Callie's world will be equally charmed.

Note that Calpurnia's brothers (Lamar, Sul Ross, Jim Bowie, Sam Houston, and Travis) are named after Texas historical figures. There is also mention of Texas locations such as the San Marcos River, Austin, and Beaumont. And of course, as is in the first installment, science topics abound, with reference to animals, veterinary medicine, and scientific work.

To read more about the author and Calpurnia, click here.





1 comment:

  1. I can't wait for the new book. I am enjoying exploring your blog.

    Lisa @ https://hopewellslibraryoflife.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete