I always understand a picture book so much more AFTER I have read it to a kindergarten class.
This week I am reading Wolfie the Bunny (Little Brown, 2015) and I'm seeing it through their eyes --
Dyckman, Ame. Wolfie the Bunny. Illus. by Zachariah Ohora. New York: Little Brown, 2015. Print. 9780316226141.
In this picture book, Wolfie has arrived in a basket -- right on the doorstep of the Bunny family. They are happy to take him in, with Mama and Papa Bunny proudly taking Polaroids of the new addition to their family, and finding everything he does wonderful! (Mama even sews him a bunny suit.) But sister Dot will have none of this, and from the beginning, she expresses her objection in a clever refrain that kindergarteners will enjoy repeating: "He's going to eat us all up!"
As Dot's words fall on deaf ears, Wolfie grows more and more attached to Dot. Wolfie also grows bigger due to an unending hunger for carrots, and this makes it necessary for the two to go to the "Carrot Patch" to replenish supply. While at the store a bear confronts Dot, searching for his next meal. Who rescues whom? Does Dot eventually come to love her "brother"?
This is a humorous story of "siblings" and acceptance, and every page gives readers more reasons to be engaged completely in the book.
Also worth noting:
The color palette adds appeal to the book: bright yellow with parts in pink and gray - a trio that works. Notice the sloth on the sidewalk working in front of the Carrot Patch. (With its record for non-speed, how did a sloth get hired? I had fun thinking about it.)
Notice Papa Bunny's argyle sweater vest, Mama's red glasses, the layout of vegetables at the grocery store, and the t-shirt the bear is wearing. Notice the little bunny in the window. All lend more reasons why this book deserves more than just one read. I've lost count if how many times I've reached for it.)
Here's what I also thought about:
Mama Bunny sews Wolfie a bunny outfit. Why? Is it to make Wolfie fit in? Does SHE wish he was a bunny?
Wolfie had a baby stuffed bunny in his basket.
The bear is buying bear honey bottles.
Mama and Papa Bunny are so proud of Wolfie, they even praise his drool! That is love!
So much to see in this book. And don't think I would have noticed half of it if I had not shared the story with my students. Their laughter & reactions made their opinion clear.
For me, everything made it a perfect candidate for a Kindergarten Read-Aloud.

This is such a fun book! And, isn't it weird how our perceptions change? I read a picture book recently that I went on Goodreads to give a 5 to. Imagine my surprise when I saw I had given it a 3 last year. I'm not sure what exactly happened in the meantime, but this book I found only average before has suddenly and inexplicably become outstanding. :>)
ReplyDelete