Pages

Monday, April 22, 2013

It's Monday! What are you reading? 4/22/13

I'm joining Jen and Kellee again for their weekly meme about a week in reading.
Their blog is called Teach Mentor Texts and it's really a wonderful source for teachers who are always on the lookout for books to use in their classroom. Make sure you check it out!

School was fun and busy with great poetry celebrations, and then my own nights were filled with reading for library school. I tried to block out time to read for myself, but I was obsessed with finishing a major project due tomorrow (done!).  Have you ever finished a project and then realized how much you learned from it? Working on this one was a good experience because I had to grapple with many ideas and think through them. At the end, I processed the concepts in a way that made sense for me. Yet another insight into being a learner!

Here's what I'm reading this week:

ONE CAME HOME by Amy Timberlake
Published by: Random House
Published: 1/8/2013
Pages: 272


Georgie lives in Wisconsin in the 1870s. She's smart and says what she thinks. Her sister Agatha disappears one day, and refusing to believe she is dead even after the funeral, Georgie is determined to find her sister and the truth. ONE CAME HOME is a mystery and an adventure, and the writing is sharp and conveys Georgie's rich personality. I always tell my students that we can tell a lot about a character by the way they speak and the words they use, and this book is a perfect example of it.

The story gives the reader the feeling that something surprising will be revealed at the end, but on the journey, there are so many things to figure out. I'm thinking this one is best for middle school students, but I'll know for sure when I finish it.

 
 
MY LIFE AS A CARTOONIST by Janet Tashjian and illustrated by Jake Tashjian
Publication date: 4/30/13
Publisher: Mac Kids Books
 
 
This is the 3rd installment of a really fun series.
Book 1: My Life as a Book
Book 2: My Life as a Stuntboy
 
I'll tell you more about this book on Thursday (4/25). Make sure you stop by here as I participate in a blog tour with author and illustrator and mom/son duo Janet and Jake Tashjian.
 
In the meantime, check out the first two books! I really enjoyed them
 
What are YOU reading this week?
 
 
 


1 comment:

  1. I taught fourth grade for seven years and am just finishing up my fifth year in second. Next year I am moving to third and am so excited about the higher level books. One Came Home sounds great.

    ReplyDelete