I woke up this morning to read before the sun was up. Three books called for my attention. One of them was What You Know By Heart by Katie Wood Ray, an amazing writer, teacher, speaker, and all-around inspirational person.
| I met Katie Wood Ray at the TCTELA Conference in San Antonio. Remember: Authors are "rockstars" to me. |
She wrote: "Always listen to your heart."
Writers, you never know just how much power your words have.
I don't know the answers all the time. But eventually, the ideas come, and I try them out in my own flawed way. I take one little step and then two big steps. I get close to a new goal and look back. Sometimes there are people ahead of me. Sometimes there's no one around. And this morning I just decided to keep going with what I've been doing: reading, writing, blogging, learning, teaching, sharing what I can, collaborating, and continuing my 2nd trip to grad school. (Don't worry! I made it successfully through the first one. I'm just going back for another!) I do these things because I believe in the power of literacy for all people--but especially for young readers.
I read that note, reread the book, and decided I'd continue on the path I have set for myself. I'm not sure where it will lead, but I know no one else has taken my path---because it's mine. And I will do what only I can do.
No comments:
Post a Comment